Friday, October 5, 2012

That Guilty Pleasure

I don't know what came over me two afternoons ago.  It was probably the loud cry of the bookshelf to rescue him from all the clutter the girls have gifted him (READ: books that are inserted like pieces of an abstract art).  It could also be because of the boredom at home because my energizer bunny-like little girl has been suffering from asthma.  She was in bed all-day except when she wants to conveniently walk around the house while throwing up.  (I'll stop being graphic here)

So anyway, I browsed through my husband and myself's conjugal properties in a shelf (a.k.a.  our books).  One book got my attention.  It was one of my priced possessions back in my early college days.  

My Ally McBeal: The Official Guide book!



For those of you who are too young to know who or what Ally McBeal is, it is a hit series back in the 90s by David E. Kelly that focuses on courtroom con law firm drama with a twist.  The characters are mostly lawyers but they are shown as human beings who have regular lives - not merely people who get you in out of trouble.


Who can forget John Cage's heartfelt yet unconventional ways?  How about Ally's quest to move on from her long-ago heartaches or Elaine's yearning to belong?



There's also the once excellent idea of common restrooms - the things that can happen in there!  I always thought that I would grab any opportunity to work in an office that has one because that means fun on equality... of course I changed my mind because I have a better idea on what crazy, unmentionable things can happen when everyone can just walk in.

The series has superb music ensemble.  Vonda Shepard, Barry White (who can forget John Cage's dance theme song) and yes, even a very young Josh Groban.


Merely writing this makes me smile.  All those fond memories of me and my friends' three or four-way calling to bask into the drama of the episodes while the show was on commercial break.     

What's the point of this whole post?  Nothing really.  I just want to share with you the light nostalgia of it all.

Television has not interested me so much over the last five years.  What's your take on TV drama? :)

With this I leave you with my favorite quote from Ally McBeak:  

The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason. -- John Cage





1 comment: