Saturday, October 6, 2012

Handling Criticism With Class

This story hits very close to home.

There was a time in my life when I felt I was not good enough... that people look down on me because I am overweight.  Photoshoots were my worst nightmare.  I hated my body because it succumbed to the pressure of my pregnancies; it never came back to how it was.  I missed dinners, parties and reunions with family and friends because as soon as they see me, they talk about how big I have become.  

There's a thin line between preference and prejudice.  I understand preference - everyone is entitled to it.  People will always be inclined to like something over another.  Prejudice, however, is looking down on something or someone just because he/she does not fit the bill - the norm according to their own preference.

I've recently (finally) made myself understand that I am not less of a person than anyone else just because I have weight issues.  I do not pressure myself to be a size 2 just because people like women that way.  Whatever I am doing now, whether to keep my weight as is or lose it, is my decision based on what makes me happy and healthy.

Jennifer Livingston showed us how to address pressure with grace.  Some people might ignore, keep getting hurt without letting anyone know, or worse, stoop down to bullies to retaliate.  She showed them with class.









1 comment:

  1. Don't let anyone bully you Sis. Have self-confidence and trust in your own self. :D


    New follower here. :D Care to follow mine? :)

    ReplyDelete