Monday, March 9, 2015

"Not Everything Rose Wants, Rose Gets"

... This is probably the best thing my grandmother has taught me when I was a little girl. 

Back then, I could not understand it. Why can't I watch TV when it was just a matter of a flick of a switch? Why can't we get the toy that I want when we can afford it? What's one more cookie when there's more than enough inside that jar? Why do we need to wash our clothes to get extra money?

Were the grown-ups at home just scrimping? Tipid-tipid? Maybe. More than anything though, it was because that's the best sword they can give us in life.

I can also imagine how difficult it was not to give in to us kids that asking for a lot of stuff. It surely is tempting these days to give what the kids whine about. 



Now that I have my own children, I understand better why I often heard that phrase - Not Everything Rose Wants, Rose Gets. It helped me allow for things to slide.  If things doesn't go according to plan, oh well.  As long as I tried, I'm often okay.  It saved me from a whole lot of heartaches and fights. It helped me accept.

I hope I can share the same with my girls.  The generation is a lot different now - it is the age of instant gratification.  To borrow a scene from Barbie and The Secret Door:

Video from YouTube:  Cartoon Arts DMH en

Here's hoping we parents find a healthy balance of giving and holding back.  They will thank us when they are older.




18 comments:

  1. Agree!
    There are times during our childhood days that are beyond our understanding but when we are already grown ups, we will realize, they are correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sana maapply ko to when the time comes that i have my own kids na rin..feeling ko kasi magiging spoiler ako eh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your kids will thank you later once they understand. And hopefully, they too could transmit the good values they have learned from you to their own kids in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard to say NO sometimes but I have to stand my ground or else my kids will grow up spoiled, which is not good. I want them to understand that, everything we have we work hard for it and its not easy.
    www.sweetcuisinera.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's one reason that your grandma gave you? Sometimes the kids always ask, "But, why?" Yes, I don't like my kids to have too much stuff that they would want more. Sometimes having more makes one want more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to say no to kids, specially if it's your own but you have to in order to teach them that very importantt lesson that you cannot always get what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's true that nowadays many kids are for instant gratification same as some adults. To learn about delayed gratification is the key to a more meaningful life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how I am as a parent. I don't have children yet, but when I do, I want to teach them that they cannot get everything they want just because they want it. I know it's going to be tough but we need to make it work somehow.

    www.hintofglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's my line now, hehe. I always tell my son that not everything he wants, he will get. I know naman that as parents we really want to give everything our children wants. But I don't want him to be a happy-go-lucky and spoiled boy. It's for his own good naman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also say that to my kids and you know, they eventually get it. I know sometimes they really wish and make kulit to get what they want, but they are learning to be patient and wait or let go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a valuable lesson, not very easy to teach little kids but something they must learn at an early age.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always try to provide the needs and wants of my children but there's always limit to what I can give. That is the reason why I always tell them that I can't give them this or that because this mom has no money for it. I also explain to them that not all they want are beneficial for them. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. There should be balance of everything. I agree with your thoughts in this article. Hopefully, more parents will find this useful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the reason why I'm teaching my son to save because I will not buy everything he wants. If he want something, save for it. Not because other kids have this and that, I will give it to my son.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, we have to teach our kids that they can't have everything they want. I always tell that to me son. Sometimes he understands but sometimes he will just make a sad face.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am thankful too than my mom practices it is and it will apply to my future kiddos hehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. We need to teach young ones a bit of restraint and patience. Funny how our parents used to say our generation is different. Here we are, saying the same thing to the younger generation. :)

    ReplyDelete