Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Topic That Is Untouchable

... until today.

I seldom talk about weight issues.  Sure I joke a lot about it.  On the surface, you will hear me joke about the dangers of being in the same area with somebody that is on the plump side; or fainting on my Annual Physical Exam when I took the shocking news that, yes, I am overweight (gasp!).  But really, it is unnerving and it is scary. 

Before I got married five years ago, I was at 130 lbs.  Mind you, it was not my ideal weight.  I felt like I always needed to lose 10 lbs.  I am quite tall and the doctors often told me my weight is okay but somehow I just felt that I needed to lose THAT 10 lbs.

Fast forward to today.  The breaking news is I do not need to lose 10 lbs. anymore... I need to lose a 100! Okay, so I am exaggerating but I really gained a lot.  The pregnancies were not very good to me.  Especially the last one. 

I tried exercising, dieting... I tried drinking those weight-reducing tea.  But somehow, none of them worked.  So for a time I was resigned to just being big.  Not loving it but living through the reality that I am big.  I still dream of being va-va-voom gorgeous though.

Then I can across this article.  It was aptly titled "My Thinspiration".  This is a feature on a woman's amazing recovery from severe obesity.  She was 343 lbs. and with discipline, hardwork and perseverance, she lost 219 lbs. in 10 months.  She was told by her doctor that with the way things were, she can only use her legs for 6 months.  Her knees were giving in - the small bones were crushed and the gel was running out.

Pictures from Fashion Pulis



I know the first thing that came to your mind was how unsafe the fast weight-loss is.  That was my biggest question.  But she consulted a dietician, weight-loss trainers and she goes to the gym everyday.  Surely, there must be guidance.

This is my main goal now.  My biggest gift for myself.  If Shirley can do it, I am sure with determination, I can too.  I will keep you guys posted on the progress.

2 comments: