Sunday, October 30, 2011

What We Are Watching

Television can be your enemy or your friend.  This is what I have learned with having two kids around.  You can never be complacent with what they watch because this is part of what molds them at this early stage.

Apart from the usual Playhouse Disney shows that are safe to watch for my little girls, I make it a point to screen the movies that they see.

Here are some kid safe movies that your little ones can watch.  I also noticed that when these are on, the girls are glued to the screen.  They laugh out loud when something is funny and their facial reaction changes as the scenes does.

The Toy Story Series


There are three movies in the series - all child-friendly with all their adventures.  I especially like Toy Story 3 because it teaches the value of trust and friendship.  Andy (the boy who owns all the toys) has grown up and is now leaving for college.  When he was tucking his toys away to the attic, his mom thought it was garbage.  This is where the adventure began.  They were brought to Sunnyside Daycare, the recycling plant, back to Andy's house and soon enough to Bonny's.  I especially like the scene where Andy was saying goodbye to his toys.  

The Wizard of Oz


This is a 1939 classic.  Dorothy Gale was swept away by a tornado to a magical land.  She meets friends like the Tin Man, the Scare Crow and the Cowardly Lion.  They embark on an adventure to see the wizard who can help Dorothy return home.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory



Nothing beats the classic.  This movie was first released in 1971 starring Gene Wilder, Jack Albertson and Peter Ostrum.  There was a remake in 2005 starring Johnny Depp (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) but I still prefer the original.


The Cat in the Hat


This is one movie that was shred into pieces by the critics but still found its way to children's home.  Adapted from Dr. Seuss' story of the same title, the Cat in the Hat is a fun flick that your kids will surely like.


Not bad at all.

The Polar Express

a

My daughters' favorite Christmas movie.  They love the music, the graphics and the adventures to the North Pole.  


I am sure I am still missing a few more movies but I will stop at this for now.  One thing I keep in mind is to limit their time on watching movies.  This may be a fun thing to do but active play is still great.


How about you?  Can you recommend movies too?

1 comment:

  1. I recommend that you do NOT let their father choose movies for them. Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete