Thursday, August 15, 2013

What Is Best For Babies (and Mommies)

There is a photo that has been circulating all over the social networking sites about a mother who was nursing her little baby in front of an infant formula vendor’s booth.  That picture prompted a number of arguments about breastfeeding versus bottle feeding.  Some applaud this mother for making a bold statement over formula feeding while others felt that she has shamed women to ask about options, thus preventing their right to choice.


For one, breastmilk is known to be the most complete form of nutrition for babies – for their immunity, health, growth and formation.  Breastfeeding also forms a strong bond between the mother and child, which experts have stated helps make a more confident child…. Studies also show that mothers lose their pregnancy weight-gain faster when they breastfeed.  And hey, breastfeeding is free so it is cost-effective as well.

In defense of those who decide to bottle feed their infants, it is argued that with bottle-feeding, a mother knows exactly how much her baby intakes so she does not have to worry about accidentally under or overfeeding.  Proponents also contest that modern formula milk has at par nutrients with a mother’s breastmilk, so all the health benefits are amply provided.  In addition, the mother is given freedom to go back to her normal life, as fathers or older siblings can participate in feeding the newborn.

I am very interested to know how my readers feel about this.  I would like to know, which do you prefer best – breastfeeding or bottle-feeding?  

Watch out for my next post as this will be a poll on this topic.  You will surely like what we are giving away!



15 comments:

  1. I am a breastfeeding mom, but when I returned to work have to combined it with formula, but when I am at work I see to it to breastfeed my baby!

    http://superbratinella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. I will give a round of applause for this woman too,, some of the woman, don't like to breasfeed their babies.. I know a few,I breastfed my daughter for 7months only, to sad.but then I am proud that I am one of those who breastfed mom.


    http://jocrisworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a bit shocking what that woman did but I guess it was effective. I'm for breastfeeding as long as is possible. No question about it. Mother's milk is best for baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, it's a choice for everyone. For me, I will agree that breast milk is still best for baby. If I have the choice, I will breastfeed my son until weaning time but circumstances wouldn't allow me. I am working outside home for more than 12 hours and during that time as a first time mom, I lack knowledge about how can I still breast feed my son while working. I am just lucky that my son still grew up smart and healthy even I just breastfed him for just 3 months. But I made a promise to my self, that I will fully breastfeed my next baby. I am praying that by the time we have our next baby, I am a work at home mom already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my choice would be breastfeeding if the mom is physically capable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I will give birth to my third, I promise myself to strive hard to breastfeed. I failed to do with my 2nd. I only bf them until 3mos :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad Sis! Not all women are built to breastfeed for long periods. And besides, iba rin daw talaga pag may support system for the breastfeeding mom.

      Someday when I'm blessed with my own baby, I'd like to breastfeed too. That will always be the first option. But I am not a snob to formula naman.

      Delete
  7. I breastfed all my children. But I've seen moms who really can't breastfeed their babies simply because their not producing enough milk. So, we should also be open to other options.

    ReplyDelete
  8. breastfeeding is not only healthful but you can also save a lot from purchasing powdered milk. that mom on the photo is truly remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm probreastfeeding. in fact, i am still breastfeeding my 22 month old baby boy and i plan to breastfeed him for as long as he likes. when i was still working, i always pumped milk at work and brought it home so my baby can still drink breastmilk even if i'm away from him working.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As much as I want to breastfeed my son before, circumstances did not allow it. Though, I tried pumping milk for a month and gave it to my son + formula combined.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am pro-breastfeeding! I am actually still breastfeeding to my 2 1/2 yr old daughter. However, I do understand that other moms have to resort to bottle-feeding because of work or sometimes they don't have enough milk to satisfy the baby's needs. But, as long as breastfeeding is possible, i think there is no reason to substitute it with formula. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We all know the advantage of breastfeeding,and so I'm all for it, especially if the mother is capable. But it doesn't have anything to do with who is a better parent. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's a case to case basis. Some moms really can't breastfeed for certain reasons...I think what is important is giving the best nutrition available for the baby...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just like Aileen said. I really believe that it is a case-to-case basis. Just like us, as much as Mommy wants to breastfeed our son before, she needs to go back to work after her maternity leave but she still breastfed our son once we got home.
    Also, there are some moms that whatever they did, their milk is not sufficient to satisfy their baby's hunger.

    ReplyDelete