Monday, January 28, 2013

When You Think Everything Will Be Boring (Part 2)

I just realized life got in the way and I left you hanging with my story about Nemo's antics.  This is part 2 of my blog about our scary experience last Christmas.  It is easier to recount now because I see Nemo being herself all the time - no more worries about the after-procedure side effects.

So Nemo needed to have an endoscopy to take the coin out.  It was scary how it was explained, even scarier that we had to check the instrument out.  A decision had to be made soon.  We were told that if we wait, it might even be more dangerous; that it can poison the rest of Nemo's system.

It is also worth noting that the medical insurance (health card, we have two for the girls), did not cover the procedure.  We had to pay for this.

On the helluva morning (after tossing and turning on that not-so-comfy hospital chair), we were wheeled in to the X-ray room to check if there was a chance that the coin has gone down the natural way.  This is where I first met my pedia gastro doctor.  She discussed with me what she needed to do.  It was quite graphic that the whole time, I was probably holding my breath with a big lump on my throat.  It won't be a surprise if my face was turning blue.

More hooplas and discussions and we were wheeled in to the prep room.  This is where the doctor popped the question - "Misis, are you okay?"  For the love of heaven and earth, please do not ask any parent in a similar scenario that question!  Of course I was not okay!  That was my final straw - I cried a river and had hurricane-sounding sobs in front of the doctor. I was scared, what were you thinking?

The anesthesiologist gave Nemo some meds to make her sleep after which I was showed my way out of the operating room.  After 15 minutes, I was called by the EENT doctor to show me what toy they took out from her ear.  It was the gastro doctor's time to shine.

It was probably the longest 3 hours of my life.  It felt like my eyebags extended to my chin.  My husband was waiting with me then.  

Because of exhaustion, I crashed and fell asleep while waiting for the doctor.  I woke up to see a small plastic container with a stained coin.  It turned black!  The doctor informed us that it was saving grace that we decided to go through the procedure.  The coin was embedded on Nemo's stomach walls.  It was difficult to get it out.




Two more hours in the recovery room and we were assisted back to our room.  We were given some good news.  We can celebrate Christmas at home after all.  We can go home the next day.

I have so much to be thankful of despite my life's biggest scare.  I am thankful for wonderful extended families who have assisted us in so many ways.  I am thankful for a competent medical team in Asian Hospital.  

I would not wish for this to happen to anyone.  It was horrible and I can only shiver whenever I think about it.



28 comments:

  1. This is indeed a scare for any Mom! Good everything turned out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear... Rose I feel like walking with you when you were telling this story. Grabe a coin?! How old is Nemo btw? And Thank God they were able to pull it out. We're glad that's all over now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I read the previous post na. Nemo is 3 pala. O my goodness sis. Children do crazy stuff talaga noh? Us moms left worried while they thought it's all fun hahaha! I have a 4 and 1. And my 1 is a disaster too. Kalat Princess lang naman. But she likes putting things in her mouth as well. That's why I always warn my eldest to keep an eye on her sister. The eldest naman will just scream "MAMA, LILY PUT SOMETHING IN HER MOUTH..." ganung peg lagi hehehe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg...that was loads of worries and tensions!
    good thing nakuha ang coin and you still had a cheerful christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats what's scary with kids. they put everything in their mouth. how big was the coin? Good thing you found out the coin was still in him! I had an experience with that with my then 5 year old daughter and i blogged about it here http://www.mommyunwired.com/2012/11/paulie-swallowed-25-centavo-coin.html the coin went out the natural way though

    ReplyDelete
  6. All is well now. At least we could all breathe with relief. Scary experience indeed. Got to hand it to the doctors who did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rose, I'm glad this is over now! The coin can be a souvenir and you can perhaps show it to Nemo when she's older.

    BTW, it would be great to link up with you and share our fitness goals with each other. We can be fitness buddies too if you like :) Where are you from? (I hope you're within the Metro)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kids give us the most joy but scare us the most too! I am glad she is safe now. I can only imagine how worried you were.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank God Nemo is okay na. This is so scary. The coin turned black because of the acid inside our stomach. I hope this won't happen again to any parent because when your child is sick or in such accident you will wish you are the on their feet.

    Mommy Maye
    www.momayecraft.tk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that your gal is okay now. Really scary episode that you had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that was scary but Thank God everything is alright now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, that was really scary. Some of the greatest fears of mothers with toddlers. Glad he's OK now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was really scary. good thing they got the coin out of his stomach.
    I was a bit blessed because our son are not used of putting something inside his mouth. We teached him not to do it because it was harmful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yay! that was a scary experience.. but good thing your little one is okay now and you didn't celebrate christmas at the hospital

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! Good to know that Nemo is well now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is a chilling experience and i feel you...i also cry a river if my kids got sick or in bad condition

    ReplyDelete
  17. That must have been scary for you and Nemo! Good thing you went with the procedure or it might have poisoned her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When something happens, life happens and we just got to hold on to that thing called faith. Im glad Nemo is now fine :)

    Chan

    ReplyDelete
  19. ask ko lang, aung health insurance na gamit nyo?

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a scary story... I'm glad it ended on a good note. Phew! :-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was really scary. It's really hard when kids get cranky with such things.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad Nemo is fine now. I can imagine how you felt, Rose. Good thing the ordeal's finally over. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh dear, good thing your NEMO is fine and ok now. Gotta guard my kids all the time to prevent this incident from happening to them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's really scary! Just reading your story sent shivers down my spine. I also worry about the kids getting into accidents and getting into trouble because of their curiosity. It was a good thing that an xray was part of their SOP. Otherwise, the coin would have never been noticed until too late.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is really scary :( But this is God' way to prevent Nemo from more serious condition. The coin was discovered.

    Glad that everything is okay. I hope it never happen again. I am also reminded that I should be careful with my second daughter who loves to put everything in her mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was scary. My aunt swallowed a fragment of bone from a lechon and it was a scary experience for her. She had the same procedure as Nemo. Hers got stuck in the esophagus.I think Nemo's case is scarier. Thank God, everything is okay now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awww, good thing your child is okay now. I can imagine all the stress and fear you felt.

    ReplyDelete